Did you know that the UK Ministry of Defence’s network blocks the ability to edit Wikipedia:
The decision to block write access to Wikipedia via the EGS was taken on 30 November 2007 by staff of the Director General Information (DGInfo) and the Joint Security Co-ordination Centre (JSyCC). There was no compelling business reason to have the facility to update Wikipedia.
Of course there is! So that next year, Tom Scott can do a Ministry of Defence version of The 2010 “Editing Wikipedia From Inside Parliament” Awards.
Tom Scott missed some of the other edits to Wikimedia sites, including:
- An edit to the talk page on the Wikinews article “BBC broadcasts first live episode of EastEnders”.
- A minor change to the Wikiversity page on the Great Repeal Bill.
- A whole stash of changes to Wikiquote including Enoch Powell and Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
- A test edit on Meta.
- An OTRS interaction on Commons.
- An edit on French Wikipedia to the article on ‘Upper Volta’, the old name for Burkina Faso, an edit to “Liste des ministres français de l’Équipement” and the French version of Essex.
- Edits to the article on ‘Dursley’ on the German Wikipedia… but in English. Naughty!